Friday, October 25, 2013

Teaching English

This year I (Gretchen) added a new part time job to my week.  I really felt like God was asking me to spend time with patients on the ward.  

Truthfully, this made me a bit nervous.  I was so blessed by my experiences at Lazare's Orphanage in Guinea and I was worried that I would have difficulty showing the same love to the patients because I was worried that it would be difficult to look at them.  We serve a gracious and loving Father.  My first English student was Alphonse.  Before meeting him for the first time I prayed a heartfelt prayer that I would be able to see him with our Father's eyes and that he would see Christ in me.  This is Alphonse.

When I met him all I could do was smile.  We have a gracious and loving Father.  His face was wrapped in a bandage, his smile was beautiful, and his spirit was infectious.  I have been meeting with Alphonse and our time as been spent laughing and learning.  I can't remember what day his bandages came off because all I see is Alphonse, a beautiful son of God.  I am so blessed that God gave me time to see Alphonse with His eyes.  When I meet a new patient I am no longer worried.  I know God is with me and will help me see.

This is another of my sweet students.
I am teaching Alistera to read and write.  She is teaching me to giggle.  Every time I see her she has a new sticker on her bandage and her hugs are amazing.  She is beautiful!  

I am so blessed to have the opportunity to spend one-on-one time with these amazing people.   




No comments:

Post a Comment