Monday, October 8, 2012

Cascade de la Soumba

We left the Africa Mercy at 9:30 in the morning hoping to find some waterfalls.  We had a map, a picnic lunch, and an idea of where to go.  Two hours later we still had no idea where the waterfall were, but we had made it out of Conakry.  We found the city of Dubreka.  We understood that the falls were somewhere around Dubreka.  We spent several minutes driving around the area stopping and asking various Africans, "Ou est cascade de la soumba?"  We were told they were east.  We were told they were west.  We still had no idea where these waterfalls might be hiding.  Then someone in the land rover had an idea...lets ask a taxi driver he might know the whereabouts of theses infamous waterfalls.
Gabe helped me out.  We just kept repeating ourselves.  We smiled really big.  We repeated ourselves louder and added some hand motions that we felt depicted waterfalls beautifully.  Still no one understood.  Then I said in my 'excellent' french, "I would like to look at the waterfalls of Soumba?"  Ah Ha!  Understanding.  Then our new African friend who up until this point only spoke French said, "I give you this man to show you waterfalls."  I squeezed in the back with the boys, and our tour guide pointed.  Thirty minutes later we arrived at the falls.  I will let the pictures speak for themselves.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. My husband and I always have you and your family in our prayers. Continue to do God's work and may he bless your family always. God is good!

    ReplyDelete